The Mother Theresa Institute of Health Sciences was established by the Government of Puducherry to develop the requirements of health care professionals & personnel by providing health care educational courses for the students of the Union Territory of Puducherry. The Institution was started in September, 1991 as 'Pondicherry Centre for Paramedical Education' at the Government General Hospital, Puducherry, with four Diploma courses of Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT), Certified Radiological Assistance (DCRA), Multipurpose Health Worker-Male (DMPHW-M) and Multipurpose Health Worker-Female (DMPHW-F). In the subsequent academic year, the two Degree Courses Bachelor of Nursing (B.Sc.-Nursing) and Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT) and two Diploma Courses, D.Pharm. and Paramedical Ophthalmic Assistant (DPOA) were started.
On 6th May 1999 the Institute was registered as “Mother Theresa Institute of Health Sciences (Pondicherry) Society” with the Registrar of Companies Puducherry, funded by the Government of Puducherry. The Government of Puducherry had constituted the General Body and the Governing Body for efficient management of the institute vide G.O. Ms. No. 32/Health dt. 30th April 1999. Now the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Puducherry is the Chairman and the Chief Secretary to Govt. of Puducherry is the Vice-Chairman of the Governing and General Body of the Institute.
The D.Pharm. and D.M.L.T courses were upgraded as Degree Courses (B.Pharm. & B.Sc.-MLT) from the academic year 2001-02. In the academic year 2005-06, the two Diploma Courses in Multipurpose Health Worker-Female (DMPHW-F) and Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) were started at Karaikal. The two Diploma Courses, viz Multipurpose Health Worker Female (DMPHW-F) and Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT), were subsequently started at Mahe and Yanam during the academic year 2007-2008. To upgrade the knowledge of Pharmacists working in Hospitals/Institutions, B. Pharm (Lateral Entry) was started in the year 2007.
Further, Post Graduate courses in Pharmacy (M.Pharm. in four specializations) and Physiotherapy (M.P.T. in three specializations) were started in the year 2007-08 in Puducherry. P.G. course in Nursing (M.Sc.-Nursing in four specializations) was started in the year 2008-09. This Institute is also offering Post Basic B.Sc.(Nursing) course from the academic year 2008-2009 with the view to upgrade the nursing skills of the in-service personnel (Diploma holders) of Health Department of Govt. of Puducherry so as to provide better nursing care services in the UT of Puducherry. Consequently, the Institute’s name was changed as Mother Theresa Post Graduate and Research Institute of Health Sciences (MTPG & RIHS) on 29th July 2008.
Diploma in Lady Health Visitor/Multipurpose Health Supervisor (6 months promotional course) is imparted in this Institute for the in-service candidates of Health Department, Puducherry. Certificate Course in Medical Laboratory Technology (one year promotional course) was started in July 2010 for the in-service candidates.
Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery (DGNM) course was started at Karaikal Regional Centre from the academic year 2012-13 after discontinuing the Diploma in Multipurpose Health Worker (F) course.
With a view to promote the Indigenous systems of Medicine & Homoeopathy, three Diploma Courses in Pharmacy of 2 years duration viz., Diploma in Ayurveda Pharmacy (DAP), Diploma in Siddha Pharmacy (DSP) and Diploma in Homoeopathy Pharmacy (DHP) were started at Puducherry from the Academic year 2013-2014.
Diploma in Clinical Echo Cardiography (DCEC) course of 2 years duration was also started in Puducherry from the Academic year 2013-14, with the assistance of Dept. Of Cardiology, Indira Gandhi Govt. General Hospital & Post Graduate Institute, Puducherry and Aiswarya Trust, Chennai, which renders regular services of specialised Teaching Faculty by its dedicated Cardiologists.
Diploma in Dialysis Technology (DDT) course of 2 years duration was also started in Puducherry from the Academic year 2013-14 with the assistance of Dept. Of Nephrology, Indira Gandhi Govt. General Hospital & Post Graduate Institute, Puducherry. Diploma in Clinical Microbiology (DCM) course of 2 years duration is being introduced from this Academic year 2014-15.
- The Post Graduate & Under Graduate Degree Courses namely M.Pharm., M.Sc.(Nsg), M.P.T., B.Sc.(Nsg), P.B.B.Sc.(Nsg), B.P.T., B.Sc.(M.L.T), B.Pharm. and B.Pharm (Lateral Entry) are affiliated to Pondicherry University.
- The Diploma Courses viz., DGNM and DMPHW (F) are affiliated to the Board of Examination for Nurses, Govt. of Puducherry.
- All other Diploma Courses viz., DCRA, DMLT, DAP, DSP, DHP, DCEC, DDT, and DCM are affiliated to Board of Medical Education, Government of Puducherry.
- The M.Pharm., B.Pharm. and B.Pharm (Lateral Entry) Courses are recognized by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Pharmacy Council of India (PCI).
- The M.Sc.(Nsg), B.Sc.(Nsg), P.B.B.Sc.(Nsg), DGNM and DMPHW-F courses are recognized by the Indian Nursing Council, New Delhi and Tamil Nadu Nurses and Midwives Council, Chennai.
With a view to encourage Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy for strengthening Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani & Homoeopathy Drug Enforcement Mechanism, Govt. of Puducherry has established Govt. Drug Testing Laboratory exclusively for testing Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homoeopathy Drugs with the assistance of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India, New Delhi, w.e.f. 2014-15. The Govt. Drug Testing Laboratory is being established under the College of Pharmacy of MTPG & RIHS, Puducherry.
Affiliations & Approvals
- Approved by UGC under Section 2 (f) and 12 (B)
- Permanently affiliated to Pondicherry University, Puducherry
- Approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi
- Approved by Pharmacy Council of India (PCI), New Delhi.
- Approved by Indian Nursing Council (INC), New Delhi.
- Approved by Tamilnadu Nurses and Midwifery Council (TNNMC), Chennai
- Approved by Board of Medical Education, Puducherry (BOME), Govt. of Puducherry.
- Approved by Board of Examination for Nurses (BOEN), Govt. of Puducherry.